Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really sure where to post this on the forum or if it has been covered elsewhere but just wanted to alert people. From 1st Oct 2008 the rules for permitted development on house were amended. If you're planning on doing any work on your house which will affect the external appearance (particularly if you live in a national park, world heritage site or conservation area) then its worth checking with your local council or a planning advisor as you may now need permission.

Also, there is a 'virtual house' on the planning portal designed to give home owners an indication of what can and can't be done without permission but since the amendments it leaves a little to be desired as the amendments haven't been incorporated very clearly so for the time being i would use this as a guide and with caution!

Sponsored Links
I notice that the little house on that site has satellite dishes all over the place
sowing that they are allowed in many places where previously they were not. :D

mattylad - yep, assuming you stick within the size limits, don't put up more than two per dwelling and are not in a 'sensitive planning area' then yes there isn't much restriction on them.

To be honest, i've not heard of a planning authority taking enforcement action against a satellite dish and i live and work in a national park! I think most planners will accept they are now part of the world we live in.

Sponsored Links
Not if you're in a Conservation Area they won't.

Any external alteration or addition needs planning approval.

We've even been told what colour palette we are limited to.

And it's not a picture postcard scene!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back