road drains and other services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a letter from council that they will be renewing the footpaths on our road. It turns out they are also digging up the road to renew rainwater drains (they did not notify us of this).

Does anyone know the depth of road rainwater drains and the depth of other services such as electrics water and gas pipes?

This council is well known for messing up people's supplies as this has happened in nearby areas.

I want to have the necessary knowledge in case something happens and i have to write to them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
your local council offices will have the drawings showing all services and locations and depths of same.
you may have to pay for the drawings, but you are legally entitled to access them.

your local council offices will have the drawings showing all services and locations and depths of same.
you may have to pay for the drawings, but you are legally entitled to access them.

would they be directly responsible for repairing any damage or would they fob off the consumer to the relevant utility?

I suggest you get the drawings, and then if there is any problem, you can contact a solicitor and explain that as you were able to easily (and legally)get such information, so should the road contractors, and so it must be negligence if there is any damage.

Sponsored Links
the utility companies will demand the contractors pay for any damage.

Contractors keep a budget allowance in their contract price to pay for the damage they expect to do.

any contractor wishing to work or tender for contracts, regarding public highways, must have the relevant liability insurance. it has to be proven that it is up to date and has a high enough indemnity limit.

thanks chaps.

i take it that my first port of call if anything happens is the relevant utility who would then take it up with the contractro directly?

The numpty in the council office wrote to us about footway works, turns out they are digging up rainwater drains and redoing the whole lot.... :eek: their website shows work as complete when they only started three days ago :eek:

Or you could look on the positive side - you local council is spending your money on something that should benefit you directly!

I wish our local council would spend my money on something to benefit me!

i take it that my first port of call if anything happens is the relevant utility who would then take it up with the contractro directly?

If they dig through an electricity cable, they will usually know about it themselves before you do :) With the wholesale renewal of London's water mains, we had whole sections of the area (10,000 properties) cut off of for many hours at a time. On one occasion, the chap with the back hoe was on his first day on the job, dug up a main feed, and ran off as he couldn't face the locals (street full of restaurants getting ready for evening service)...

But, yes, if you hit a problem, contact your utility supplier, who will sort it. It is very unlikely that you would have any case against the contractors as (a) they would be the agents of the council, and (b) you have no utility supply contracts with the council. It is therefore hard to see how you could sue a contractor or, more particularly, where the cause of action would be.

And although since the original thread was in July - this may be too late.
Although at the speed council services work - maybe not.

If your concerned with any potential damages, walk along your front street taking photographs galore as evidence of "before".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back