shed/garage roofing (plus conc base Q)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning on building a small concrete garage.

What type of roof would you recommend I build? Was thinking about bitumen corrugated sheets - Do you need to apply anything to these sheets to seal them together), or are they just fitted dry (overlapping) with pins and thats that? Do these also work well with insulation on the inside of panel too?

Going to be using timber for the roof support as the roof panels will be angled, what could I use inbetween roof panel and block wall? I was thinking shiplap, or perhaps small bricks, but with bricks there will be steps at the roof declines. Any ideas about that would be nice.

About the floor/base: I have slabbed down (dry/cement mix) the area for an intended wooden shed base, but now I have changed my mind on a wooden one.

Once the blocks are up (the walls), should I carry on slabbing down the patio stones all the way around, then put down a layer of sand, spread the DPM, pour in the cement 2 inches thick? would this be good enough to stop damp etc?

Any help, thank you

Sponsored Links
I've never seen the point of bitumen coated roof sheets, when normal fibre cement corrugated ones are water proof and do the job. But yes, you just lap them and don't need to seal them. You can insulate if you devise a suitable way to hold the insulation up!

Just build the walls up to the sheets and fix a suitable (150mm ?) fascia to hide the stepping. Fill any gaps with expanding foam if you like.
Or take the walls up past the roof to form a parapet, and flash the roof to this parapet

2" concrete on slabs may be OK for walking on, but for a garage it may crack unless the sub-base is really well compacted. But the concept is correct for stopping damp.

I'd go for 3" of concrete with chicken wire reinforcement though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back