Architect fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an Assistant Scout Leader and our troop is trying to get grants to get a project off the ground. I need to get a quote from an architect to send to the grant people. The project is to build a new HQ at a cost of about £250,000. Any ideas??? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. The percentages I understand but not the coding. Can you enlighten me.

Sponsored Links
Architect 12.5%
Structural engineer 2.5%
Construction (Design and Management) Regulations [Health and Safety Nazi) monkey boy 1.5%

These are full fees; you may well get them for less, but budgeting around 15-16% for fees at this stage will ensure that you don't get caught out later.

Architect fees are astronomical!! MUCH CHEAPER TO BUY SOME GRAPH PAPER AND A PACK OF SHARP PENCILS!!

You could always make this a requirement for the Architects badge, draw a new scout hut to match building regs. :D

Aye, and after all that dosh they still turn out c**p!

Did a simple dogleg stud wall & two doors to make an extra bedroom for a bloke, I picked out 5 errors on the drawings within a couple of minutes and couple during construction. Told client to get back to Architect to correct as I didn't want Building Inspector telling us to rip it all down again - Architects reply "Just carry on, its only a rough guide!"

Yup architects im yet to meet a decent clued up one and ive been on and off the building game since i was 12 (33 now).
The drawings always make me laugh, "Not for site use" "do not scale" "tender issue". Surely an architect is there to design and plan a build so many just do a quick set of plans and then become unobtainable by phone and i'm talking about multi-million pound builds. There favourite term is design and build, we build it and they design it after. Like as built line drawings for heating and plumbing services like so the maintence man will no where the pipes are oki LOL. oKI THEREs MY RANT OVER.

Not for site use
Well thats a new one on me tbh! I might try that on one of my drawings! :D
do not scale
This traditionally was for when copying drawings was unreliable and copying a drawing would affect the scale.
tender issue
There can be a distinct difference between a tender issue drawing and working drawings, a tender drawing is used for tendering, you usually have to develop the working drawing for example to incorporate the structural information when the structural engineer has been brought in: usually post tender. :rolleyes:
design and build
This term is used when the architects are only employed to produce a scheme and get planning, but the contractor has been apointed to design and build the building and are paid to do so. In these scenarios the architects are not paid to design the building only inspect the works and help out the contractor when neccessary.

I agree 12.5% for Architects fees seems a bit on the steep side?? We're doing a new head office for a national quarrying company at a build cost of top side of £1million and our fees for planning and building regs approval are less than 3%. Appreciate theres more work to do than just Planning and Br bit i think we'd happily take on the job of a new £250,000 scout hut at 12.5% - we'd snap your hand off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back