Quick(ish) Turf Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Elloooo
What is the recommended depth of top soil to lay turf on? I have read that the recommended depth is between 100mm and 150mm (4"-6").
Which one would be the preferred depth and does this include the one inch that would come with the turf?
Also, can i put Type One or ballast or anything else underneath this to raise the level?
It would appear that MOT Type One is cheaper that topsoil where i am and i have about a tonne left over from something else, could i raise the level to give me the 4-6inches?
Lee

Sponsored Links
The depth is for roots.
So if you need to raise the lawn raise it then put the topsoil down

So, if i was to put Type One down as a base, and then 4 to 6 inches of top soil, it would grow fine?
Four Inches would be preferrable to be honest.

no not really mot can be quite poor draining, so you can end up with problems.

Sponsored Links
I have loads of bits of slabs and stuff, if i broke that up would it be any good? Also i have about a 1/4 of ballast, any good?

Obviously i would rather get top soil but i think it would be a waste

I havent exactly measured it but i would guess that in places it would have to be raised over 6 inches

use a levelling soil. its the best you can use and it is easy to work with. Using the other stuff you have suggested is a complete false economy. would you build a house and skimp on the foundations to save a few quid. the lawn will be down for years. give it the best start and it will last. skrimp on it and youll be doing it all again next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back