lintel sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a 30 inch wide doorway in a 18 inch stone wall on the ground floor of a 2 storey house. Are 65 x 100 precast lintels big enough to take the weight?

Sponsored Links
perhaps a silly question: does it matter which way round the lintels are laid, 65 high or 100 high?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know where the best place to get general info on lintels? Jged

they should be laid 65mm high. you can buy 150mm wide lintels too.

I always thought you look at where the metal rod is in the lintel, near the bottom then that way down, Although saying that the last lintel I put in was bang on centre. Is this irrelevant? some clarification would be great! :D

calverts question was pertinent as to whether the lintel was laid flat or on its edge.

it is engineered to be laid flat. it can be laid on edge i guess but this will make the lintelling exercise less efficient if a greater than 65mm wall width needs spanning.

some concrete lintel manufacturers did once imprint a 'this way up' mark on one side. i have not seen it recently though.

It seems to me to be a bit of a risk putting a 65mm high (thick)precast/ prestressed concrete lintol calculated to support 100mm brickwork under an 18 inch (450mm) thick stone wall. How many lintels are you planning to use. I suggest at least 3. Still uneasy.

Beeches.

Depends on the actual construction.

If it's random stone or flint-type construction, then there is little capability for the load above the lintel to arch and therefore the total load from the masonry above the opening up to and including any roof and floor loads should be taken into account; and the probability is that multiples of 65 deep concrete lintels won't suffice.

If it's stonework laid to a bond, more like modern masonry, then there is a capability for it to arch and thus more probability that the proposed lintel arrangement would work.

Personally, I would veer more towards Beeches' pov and use something else, like 100x150s, or 100x215s, or Catnic box lintels CN56.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back