Aluminium and Plastic window frames price difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start ringing around, has anyone got a rough idea on the price difference between aluminum dg window frames and plastic ones?

The same, twice as much or .... ?

Just a couple of average size frames (1m2 approx) with one opener

Sponsored Links
when buying aluminium windows, make sure that the ones you buy have a thermal break. This is to stop the cold travelling through the frame and causing condensation

Woody I have a great contact for plastic windows if yr interested, will deliver to your door (supply only). They are really good quality too :)

Matt.

OK thanks.

I'm just finalising the design/detail, but I was really after frames in dark grey, and like the lower profile of aluminium.

Thats why I was leaning towards aluminium, but if they are stupid money, then it will either be [grey] plastic or painted hardwood

Sponsored Links
An update.

From the quotes I've had so far, aluminium is equivalent in price to hardwood, and nearly twice as much as softwood and 25% more than plastic frames.

These prices are a bit distorted as I am after grey frame sections which are not stock items

To give you an idea we have just had bifold alu doors fitted, four panels to an opening 3450mm wide. We bought a quality German system because the doors face SW and will get prevailing wind, driving rain and hot sunshine. The cost including fitting was around £9000. The quality is excellent, especially the stainless steel runners and trucks. See the other post on here about alu vs. PVCu for a picture.

Having the frames powder coated to a RAL number shouldn't cost more than standard white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back