Is it possible to paint roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've recently bought a 200yr. old cottage abroad quite cheaply with the view to renovate the place myself as and when I can.
One of the features of the house that needs some attention is the roof - though only cosmetically it seems i.e. it's structurally sound but rather grey with large areas of discolouration. I was wondering if it's worth my while to clean up the roof tiles that are discoloured and paint the whole lot.
Firstly, as the house is in a mountain area it's a fairly steep roof and I was wondering what sort of equipment I'd need, other than an extending ladder, to get the job done (a head for heights? yes got that already ;) .) Secondly, what sort of paint could be used to paint the tiles - is there some that's specially made for this purpose?
Any help gladly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
painting roof tiles is a waste of time in my opinion.

in the uk, chancers, shysters and fraudsters make a very good living out of convincing people like you that painting their roof is a good thing.

if the tiles are shot replace them.

if they are not, leave 'em alone.

i can only shudder to think that some old Staffy blues may have been ruined by an unnecessary roof coating. :eek:

Yes roof tile painting is a good idea, has been proven many time to waterproof the tile longer than a new tile,but you have to do it right use approved coating like stanley, mgc, or the most common roof paint manufactured by matheys, remenber to power wash the whole roof repaire any defects applie a fungicide wash followed by the appropriate primer then top coat. this will look like new but through time it will get dirty and wear like a new roof will only difference this option is more cost effective. regards callum

Sponsored Links
oRITE MATHEYS PAINT IS PART OF RUSTOLUM TYPE MATHYS PAINT OR MATHEYS DIRECT INTO GOOGLE THE COATING YOUR ARE LOOKING FOR IS CALLED DAC, REMEMBER TO FUNGICIDE AND I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO USE THERE H Z PRIMER LEAVE A FANTASTIC FINISH.

Please don't paint the tiles. The YTS trainee is keen to help, but he's been brainwashed. One day he will realise.

People are saying on this forum that you shouldn't coat a roof.
well at the factory brand new tiles are coated with the exact coating that
many approved companies are using to restore essisting roofs, so what they are basically saying is don't have a roof at all lol :confused:

many approved companies are using to restore essisting roofs, so what they are basically saying is don't have a roof at all lol :confused:

Yes I understand now, you're absolutely right.

Better speak to the admin and have this thread deleted as don't want to give the wrong advice.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1320731#1320731

and it took you over a year to come up with that little gem :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back