Building a fireplace from scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be too big a question, but any steer gratefully recieved.

I recently moved into a bungalow with gas central heating and no fireplaces or chimneys. We brought with us from our old house a nice modern gas fire with the intention of installing it.

I have space in the living room and want to build a fireplace. How?

1. Can I just build a fireplace using standard building blocks? do I need firebricks, liners?
2. What ventilation will it need? Do I need to build a chimney and stack or just a vent?
3. Are there regulations I need to look at?

If anyone can point me to an online guide ' how to build a fireplace' that would be great.

I realise I will have to get Mr Corgi to install the gas supply, but should I give the whole job to a builder? I'd much rather DIY.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can "just build a fireplace"

Assuming the floor is solid and will support the fireplace, then just build it in bricks or blocks and leave a suitable opening for the fire. If timber floor you need a hearth an possibly a foundation

You only need a fireback if the fire is an open fire type

If you are using flue blocks, then you will have to construct a brest around it, if you are using a steel liner then you could possibly just form a plasterboard casing with suitable insulation. Once the flue is in the roofspace, then it can go via a steel flue to a ridge terminal

The fire may need a room air inlet vent depending on the type

CORGI guy may to do the flue and terminal too, not just the gas supply

This work will require a building regs application

Thanks,
thats what I had hoped. Just build it.
It's a concrete floor.

Do I actually need a chimney (flue blocks/liner etc) to let out any gases?

I already put in place air vent to outside (to draw air in).

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back