Painting a mouldy wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My victorian terrace is bigger than the one next to it, so exposes a single brick thick wall to the western weather (ie. it's the width of a brick thick rather than the length)

I currently let it out, and it's all been fine for 5 years till last winter's wet weather. I went there last week to find half the wall covered in black mould (the current tenant is not fussy!) . The mould is pretty much aligned with where the wall is exposed.

The outside of the wall is rendered, so it may be condensation build up rather than rain soaking in (the window sill was also very mouldy), so I'm hoping a good clean, a coat of paint, and instructions to the tenant to keep the room aired will sort it.

Any opinions, or recommendations on paint?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Few of the companies do a paint for kitchens that has an additive to reduce mould...I think Johnstones do one...called sterasheild

Have similar problems with the house we've just brought, also previously tenanted!

We were told to scrub the mouldy section with a water/bleach mix to kill the mould spores before repainting, haven't actually got round to that room yet so cant say if it works!

Matt

Before I could sort it out my tenant treated it with mildew remover and overpainted with bathroom paint - so cross fingers for next winter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
everyone keeps talking about bleach to eradicate mould but although it will camoflage it for a while it does not kill the spores. Only fungicide will do this so its important to use it. Can be bought anywhere.

Even though the painting industry big players endorsed using bleach for years 9until they brough out their own products)

I have used it it 30 years and I have never had a come back..the only thing you have to watch is not washing.neutralising it..its can discolour subsequent coats.

Trishalaffan, i think it fair to say that Steve_M has probably solved it by now as he asked 17 months ago and he has not posted since March, so i doubt he will reply just now.
Also if Zampa says it does work (he is our resident painting expert) then thats good enough for me.

I have used it it 30 years and I have never had a come back.

I may be a woman but I have been a decorator for 25 years and the science does not support using bleach to treat mould. The paragraph below taken from a techhnical website explains why. Its just as easy to buy fungicide so why not use it !!

Bleach is not recommended. The presence of organic (humic) materials, the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the water, the surface material and contact time affect the effectiveness of bleach for disinfection. Since these factors are not generally controlled, bleach cannot be relied upon for disinfection. The most compelling reason for advising against bleach is that cancer-causing substances can be formed by the reaction of bleach with organic materials. In addition, the fumes are harmful.

A WOMAN decorator...Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus..what is the industry coming too, dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with women (in general) but this is the reason our cooking, cleaning and childminding industries are going down the pan!

Dear o, dear o, dear...............this country :(

Only kidding Trisha :p im a big fan of femmiedekkies...sexisim aside some people in the industry are too blinkered to reliase their potential

Kiss, kiss, grovel, grovel..

Intesting article and a good read..but this has been taken from a Canadian website thats unrelated to the painting industry,

Also if Zampa says it does work (he is our resident painting expert) then thats good enough for me.

Only one of many on here..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back