Dormer cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am just after a ball park figure here to give me some idea if possible .
I have a bungalow which had a flat or sloping roof at one time .It has since had a pitched roof put on. I had some plans drawn to put two further bedrooms upstairs .One half of roof space had already been converted to bedroom and ensuite.The plans seem to raise the walls at the side of the house and decrease the pitch of the roof to give more head height ,however I am wondering if putting dormers on front and back would be better and cheaper .Can anybody give an idea as to which route would be best and cheapest .
The walls either side are 13 metres apart so Dormers of about 12 metres and maybe 2.5 metres protruding out and then back to ridge tiles or just below .
Apologies if my description is not 100 % clear of what I want .

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention i am after cost of just basic watertight structure to start with ,so no work inside or electrics or anything like that and I can get windows so no need to include that cost .Sorry if its a bit vague .
Regards
Rob.

even if you described in great detail what you intended to build , it would be difficult for the recipients on an internet forum to cost.

based on your info...... :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL: nigh on impossible

:idea: surely having local tradesmen quote would be the best solution? :idea:

Whoever did the plans should be able to say how much it would cost to actually build his design

Sponsored Links
I did have plans drawn ,which basically turned a bungalow into a two storey house ,but i have since thought it may be more suitable to keep it a bungalow ,albeit with dormers ,hence my question .The plans drawn basically reduced the pitch of the roof by building up the two end walls and then putting a new roof on with less slope ,giving increased head height inside .Front and rear walls built up also .
I dont really want to go this way now ,but was just wondering what sort of money it may cost to go the dormer way.
How about the question then "has anybody had dormers put on recently and if so how much did you pay to have the work done ???"
A brief description of your build /cost may help me decide the cost of my project .
Many Thanks .
Regards
Rob.

I had a dormer done in 2003 and cost approx £15000.

Expect maybe £20 k these days. :D

Can you give any more details ,eg size,was it front and back or just one side .
Thanks Bahco.

It was front and back dormer on my bungalow and gave us 2 rooms, a small hall and bathroom.

Think we got 47 sq metres.

I know you like pics.

[/img]

[GALLERY=media, 5494][/GALLERY]

This was a steel frame and created a room about 4m x 6m. The cost for the dormer with window, was around £8 - £10K.

We installed an ensuite last year in a house that just had a full width dormer installed at the rear about 8 metres wide 2nd floor.
Apparently cost the owner £18,000 for the roof work which included an awkward scafold erection over a conservatory for access.

Pete

Thanks Pete ,thats more like what im after I think ,only i need it front and back .Do you have any pics of the dormer ?
Regards
Rob.

njkmr - i had a builder in to put a dormer on the rear of our house in June this year. This was for basic external structure as i am doing all the internal work myself. It's about 5.4m wide and the front face is about 1.3m above the roof plane with a flat roof. Cost us in the region of 6,000 plus VAT but that also included re-roofing the front roof slope and sticking a couple of Veluxes in. Also - i paid for materials myself which was probably another 2.5k (inc VAT) on top.

Thanks Andrew .I am getting more of an idea now .I intend doing all the internal stuff myself also , I just want the main structure building then I will do the rest as and when time /money permits .

Regards
Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back