Installing a Vent on a Double Glazed window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 105mm hole in the window of the bathroom, it suffers from terrible mould problem, which I attribute to the fact that the windows hardly ever gets opened, in order to combat this problem, I am thinking of fitting air vent or some form of extractor which will not require electricity, as it will not be possible to get electricity to where the window is.

I have looked at my neighbors windows and I can see that they have vents, but I am not sure if its fan operated etc. Their vents looks like this from outside
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1224672156502&isSearch=true

Although I have not been inside to see if they have some form of extractor fan, what I currently have is those fans that spins as soon as the air is blowing, but this is very ineffective for the condensation problem that I am experiencing.

Also, If one is experiencing condensation problems in a room, I know the obvious answer is to open the windows, but the flat is on the ground floor and is being let out, I will not be there to be opening the window, but I want to permanently get rid of the problem.

I welcome any advice here.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That link is to a wind hood to prevent draughts/blowback to a vent or fan.

The vents with a wind powered rotor don't do anything that a vent without one does

If you have a condensation issue, then you need to extract the moist air with a fan. A vent, or just opening a window is not going to be much help

You don't need the fan to be by the window, and a supply can be made to anywhere in a bathroom and the fan ducted to external wall or roof

Also the fan should be controlled by a humidistat so that it operates automatically as needed

That link is to a wind hood to prevent draughts/blowback to a vent or fan.

The vents with a wind powered rotor don't do anything that a vent without one does

If you have a condensation issue, then you need to extract the moist air with a fan. A vent, or just opening a window is not going to be much help

You don't need the fan to be by the window, and a supply can be made to anywhere in a bathroom and the fan ducted to external wall or roof

Also the fan should be controlled by a humidistat so that it operates automatically as needed

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will try and look at what my neighbours have done to see if they have a fan fitted. I thought letting in fresh air would sort the most air problem out, or does it have to be extracted from the bathroom.

The problem is, becuase of the location of the bath and also the fact that its a purpose built block, there is no other way to fit a fan, its quite a tiny bathroom and the window is the only way to extract the moist out.

My problem is that, I am not keen on spening much for electrical works as fitting a powered extractor will definitely require AC power supply which has to come off the bathroom lights and go towards the window, this is a process that I m trying to avoid you see.

Do I have other options ?

Sponsored Links
The principle is to remove the moist air quickly. A vent may either remove a little air or let some external air in to dilute the air in the bathroom. Either way, it will not be enough, and the humid air will be hanging around inside ready to condense and promote mould growth.

The occupant will have to open the window before, during and for a period after using the bathroom to remove the humid air.

You will be wasting your time trying to cure a condensation problem with an air vent.

You either need to remove air before it condenses or provide suitable surfaces so that condensation can be wiped easily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back