sub base for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to excavate to extend existing patio. New top surface will be 50mm woburn rumbled setts, and only have foot traffic, no vehicles.

Have read that the sub base s/b 100mm MOT Type 1, but also read that 50mm would be sufficient. I expect to find hardcore under the existing patio, but what depth would be best for the new area - it has only ever been tarmac & gravel, and was previously a driveway.

Also, existing patio height is very close to DPC level, but never had any problems with damp penetration. Wall is roughcast, rather than brick. Should I consider leaving a 100mm gap for gravel, or can I lay the setts right up to the wall, givden I've not had a problem so far? (which I know doesn't rule out a problem in the future)

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
50mm will suffice if the ground is solid, but obviously 100mm would be better.

i would leave a gravel edging

Thanks Thermo,

whilst reading through the pages on paving expert I came across details of paviour edging that removed the need for concrete haunches.

Product was Aco Borderguard. Just wondered if you/anyone had used it and is it worth the money - £5 per metre length - as opposed to using the haunches?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back