Converted Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

We have recently moved into a 4 bed detached which is about 10 to 100 years old now. There was a garage which is an integral part of the house (i.e one of the bedrooms is on the top of the garage. The previous owner has converted the garage into a room, which would make an excellent dining room, if it was not for the fact that it is really cold room!!!

It seems the issue is to do with the fact that the floor is still at the same original garage height, i.e. you have to step down into the room from the hallway door.

Also the outside wall of the room does not seem to be at all insulated. These two things make the room almost non-usable, even though there is a radiator in there.

Can anyone suggest what options we have in order to raise the floor to normal height, whilst insulating it at the same time, and what can we do about the outside wall?

Regards

Asgar

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your reply, are you please able to expand a little bit, as I am a novice at all of this.

Thanks

Asgar

Sponsored Links
the height difference between floors and access will determine how you go about levelling up the floors and the method of insulation.

you can either use screed + insulation or use timber + insulation.

if the difference is less than say 3" then there are flooring sheets available that have a ply deck bonded to insulation. kigspan thermafloor for one. these are 'floated' directly onto the sub-floor via a dpm.

the walls can be beefed up with an internal stud partition and celotex or, if you already have a cavity wall then insulated plasterboard may do the trick. this can be fixed to the wall using dry wall adhesive.

more info' is needed as to wall thickness, floor differential, window size etc.

incidentally, how has the frontage been dealt with, i.e. the garage door removal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back