The toilet overflows, when having a shower!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just about 6 weeks ago when having a shower, or when downstairs in the kitchen washing the dish's the toilet starts to over flows, the toilet and shower is upstairs, the toilet is close coupled, the toilet tank has a round flat button divided in to 2 on the top, 1 for short and other for long, any help please, thank you. :(

Sponsored Links
It sounds very unlikely that washing dishes downstairs could make your upstairs toilet overflow!

Are you in Australia or on the space station??

Tony

It sounds very unlikely that washing dishes downstairs could make your upstairs toilet overflow!

Are you in Australia or on the space station??

Tony

Hi thanks for the reply, it's true when having a shower it starts to overflow, so halfway in the shower you have to flush the the toilet, I don't know if it's the plumbing I know for sure there is 2 copper pipes coming from the kitchen up to the shower room, 1 hot, 1 cold, the cold one is then is split into 4 ways shower, toilet, basin, bath, I am based in London :eek:

I am beginning to think that its the toilet cistern which is overflowing and not the pan as we would at first have understood.

Tony

Sponsored Links
it sounds as if the mixer valve on the shower is faulty and passing allowing water along the cold supply to the wc cistern, if there is a valve on the supply to the cistern run the shower see if it overflows then shut the valve

I was thinking it might be one of those dreadful float valves which needs a good mains pressure to hold it closed.

Shower use reduces mains pressure causing it to leak.

Thats only my guess though.

Tony

Duper, how is your hot water heated, and do you have a tank in the loft, big or small?
I'd expect as Kirk does that high pressure water is pushing low pressure water backwards somehow.
It's also possible that the cistern and some other overflow are connected together..

I was thinking it might be one of those dreadful float valves which needs a good mains pressure to hold it closed.

Shower use reduces mains pressure causing it to leak.

Thats only my guess though.

Tony

think agile is on the right track here, can understand this happening, but why would the shower or kitchen affect this? once the cistern is filled its filled, running other water shouldnt affect this?

look into the toilet, - is the feed to the toilet closing under normal conditions?

I have come across this once before. I was and am still a little mystified about it but put it down to the equilibrium action of a torbeck valve in the cistern.
I took it apart, renewed the washer and put it back together and it worked fine. I seem to recall removing a little bit of debris as well. Whatever the cause it did the trick and is still working one year on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back