New window leaking, possibly roof leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had new windows fitted, the very night after they were installed I was awoken during torrential rain by dripping water coming down the inside of the bedroom window frame. So I assumbed there was a problem with seal and got the company back out to fix it. They couldnt find anything wrong with the seal around the window but they did point out a large gap between the lintel and the roof line and water staining down the front of the lintel itself. Still seemed a bit of a coincidence to me, but they claimed the old wooden windows would have soaked up the water?

Anyway Ive had this gap filled in now but Im still having problems. No dripping water now but, the wallpaper around the inside of the frame gets damp during wet weather and i can see a small stream of water running down the lintel onto the frame itself.

Im at a loss as to what to do now, it really looks like water is coming in over the top of the frame but I cant see how? I was wandering if there may be a roof leak somewhere that is running down the felt and coming out right above the window? But even then its a stone lintel, how would the water get through it?

Any ideas? Get a roofer out to check the roof maybe?

Sponsored Links
What sort of people are these ?

"The wooden frames would have soaked it up!"

My moron detector has started to hum.

I think maybe these windows have been fitted without a cavity tray.

What sort of people are these ?

"The wooden frames would have soaked it up!"

My moron detector has started to hum.

I think maybe these windows have been fitted without a cavity tray.

Yes it is one major coincidence, the house has solid walls though.

Not sure what more I can get them to do though, i can run my finger over the seal it seems good, but the water is clearly coming in over the top of the frame. I was suspecting the roof but then it would have to get through a stone lintel which surely isnt porous?

Sponsored Links
Are the gutter or downpipe blocked?

Possibly, unfortunately I dont have a big enough ladder to check - however I have noticed that not much water comes out of the downpipe at the bottom when raining.

How is it getting through the lintel and behind the window frame though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back