How can I lock my UPVC window without a key?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've UPVC windows on the first floor of our house that were installed ten years ago. At the time, the installer told us that he'd forgotten to bring some keys and would post them to us. Unfortunately we didn't follow this up. Now I'm expecting a baby and anxious that I can't lock the windows of her bedroom as I've no keys. It's still a way yet before this becomes a real problem but can anyone advise me what to do? I can't afford to replace the window. The company was Forth Windows. I can't see them on the Internet so assume that the firm is no more.

Thanks to anyone that reads this!

Sponsored Links
photo of the handle please.

quite likely it is by some common manufacturer. If not you can probably buy a compatible one that will fit, or you can take off a handle and take it into a locksmith who can find a matching key or change the cylinder. The locks are not usually complicated or high security.

you can also buy a Window Limiter which enables you to partially open the window without the sprog being able to climb out.

Blossom - you could always add purpose-made surface mounted window lock, something like this:
or fit a locking stay (as per JohnD's suggestion), something like this:

You can get this type of stuff from B&Q and similar sheds, or from www.screwfix.com or www.IronmongeryDirect.com and many others. Also available from these places are replacement locking handles; your old ones are likely to held by a couple of screws (hidden below very obvious cover plugs) which you remove & swap the handles.

Hey Symtoms... that second picture of a stay/limiter -- where's it from? I need something *just* like that, but cannot find them on Screwfix/IronMongerydirect or B&Q. What's the stock name for these things?

Harry.

Sponsored Links
The cylinders used in these locking handles use common keys, so a locksmith should be able to identify the required key and obtain a set for you. Either take the handle into a locksmith, or pay to have one come out to you. Cheaper than buying/fitting replacement handles or limiters - unless they are specifically required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back