repoint my house stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to repoint my house stone wall. Can anyone tell me the best sand to use and the best mix? icon_smile. :?:

Sponsored Links
Re-pointing with a strong mix like 3/1 sand and cement can often cause damage to the stone work. A 1/2/9 cement/lime/sand is usually recommended. In a more exposed area use1/1/6. Pointing should be seen as a sacrificial part of the wall.

Sponsored Links
My camera is now working. Why do you want a photo? And why do you put lime in the mix?

If you use more cement instead of lime, the mortar won't allow any moisture to evaporate through the joints. In freezing conditions this can cause the edges of the stone to break away. Also a lime mix is less likely to crack and allow water penetration. The down side to a lime mix is that it's less durable. In exposed areas near the coast it's less effective.
He may have asked for a photo to see what type of stone it is eg. limestone, sandstone or granite, or what type of pointing such as ribbon or recessed.

My son is coming at the weekend and he is bringing his camera so I will post a photo and you might have a better idea. You sound to know a lot about it so I will be back in touch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back