Fence Posts have 'moved' after concrete is set?

well, we have measured with spirit level the whole length and its the same from top to bottom, so looks like it's moved.

b****r, any other suggestions then for this folks?

cheers, kkatz

Sponsored Links
they will have been pressure treated so they wont need a treatment, however if you want to add extra then yes you can get several clear products that will do the job.

does dsound like the posts have warped a little. perfectly normal. they are a natural product and will change with the weather and humidity. dont worry about it.

ah you posted that as i was typing my last post!

So they are out by about 20mm. what type of fence are you putting up, panels or closeboad?

hi john, I have concrete posts running down one length of garden and they're a mess! they're falling over and the concrete's crumbled off them with metal rods hanging out! my timber ones look much nicer!

F.A.O. JOHND

lach.gif
poke2.gif
tongueout.gif
greenchainsaw.gif
moon.gif
moon1.gif
smashfreakB.gif
spanka.gif
spank2.gif

HA HA HA HA HA HA now go paint your gnomes before they crumble, or ill report you to the gnome office!

Sponsored Links
ah you posted that as i was typing my last post!

So they are out by about 20mm. what type of fence are you putting up, panels or closeboad?

I'd say probably more like 30mm! Putting up closeboard, just as well! But we are fitting the rails between the posts instead of to the front, (makes more troublesome maybe)

kkatz

the concrete fence posts in my mother's garden lasted at least 60 years before the timber parts were so rotten that the fence was replaced.

the concrete fence posts in my mother's garden lasted at least 60 years before the timber parts were so rotten that the fence was replaced.

Really? I won't be here that long! we'll we've done our best for novice's. We'll see how long it stays up.

thanks for all the replies folks, great forum

BTW dave and JohnD 'he' is a 'she' but I'm sure that makes no difference guys does it! ;)

be careful, or they'll be asking for photos

of your fence :LOL:

At the end of the day, it's a bloody fence! Just finish the job to the best of your abilities, and put kettle on when you're done.

I disagree with the non treatment of pre-treated timber. The sun will have it's way with it even if the water doesn't. It will fade in colour, dry out, split, crack, warp, and do poos on your lawn*.

Painting them with a uv resistant timber treatment will give all your outdoor wood a good start in life.
Not the best time of year to do it, so pencil it in for spring.

(*possible exaggeration)

At the end of the day, it's a b****y fence! Just finish the job to the best of your abilities, and put kettle on when you're done.

I disagree with the non treatment of pre-treated timber. The sun will have it's way with it even if the water doesn't. It will fade in colour, dry out, split, crack, warp, and do poos on your lawn*.

Painting them with a uv resistant timber treatment will give all your outdoor wood a good start in life.
Not the best time of year to do it, so pencil it in for spring.

(*possible exaggeration)

Hi deluks, its a b****y fence that needs to keep in my 'eat anything remotely furry siberian husky' and I am surrounded by sheep, cattle and horses! So good reason to want to get it right, I don't want to risk my dog being shot!

Thanks for encouragement though to finish job to best of my abilities.

We did wonder about that, the guys at saw mill reckoned to leave it to weather for a while, spring will be good then.

regards all,
kkatz ;)

BTW dave and JohnD 'he' is a 'she' but I'm sure that makes no difference guys does it!

Apologies... That'll teach me for assuming things ;)

If your putting the batons in between the posts, it shouldn't make too much difference really! They should move enough to allow you see them back straight, or you could cut to measure!?

Let us know how you get on - and pics of the finished product would be good yes! :LOL:

hi everyone

just thought I'd give you a laugh by telling you all it was the spirit level that was off!!! posts have still moved but not half as much as old level indicated, its a miracle we got them that straight then considering!

Decided to fix rails to front of posts instead now. We have 5mm x 80mm turbo screws, do you think these are thick enough?

Dave; I have before pictures too, so yeah, maybe will post those when finished and you can all 'ave a laugh! Hasn't been straightforward as there are several factors that needed to be considered and even when those were we would find that wouldn't work and would have to try something else!.

I've bought some site lights now to get some work done on it in the evenings!

regards all,
kkatz ;)

Hi KK,

At least they are straighter, lol! That's the main thing though! Those screws should be fine I'd say - if in doubt you can always put more screws in each post anyway!

Good luck - it must be warmer where you are! Or your a glutten for punishment, hasn't rose above 3/4 deg here today!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back