Breeze block wall. Load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post for me, although this forum has been very useful in the past.

I live in a 1930s block of flats constructed of red brick, and internal walls are made of thin 2" breeze blocks. Above them are reinforced concrete ceilings, on top of which are the joists.

I have taken down one of these walls. It was one side of a cupboard, was about 3' long, and had no joists resting on it (the joists run parallel and the ceiling, as mentioned before, is reinforced concrete. The wall came down very easily.

I did have a structural engineer look at it a while back and he reckoned it wasn't bearing any load, and I'm almost certain that it wasn't. It also forms part of a longer wall which has a wooden door frame, which I also reckon can't be bearing any load. I've also had permission from the management company for the block, but don't consider them experts at all. I think they based their decision on our structural engineer's report.

Am I being daft or paranoid here?

The real question is, would a 2" breeze block wall ever be used to carry any load?

Sponsored Links
Iv'e never known 2 inch blocks to be used as a load bearing wall. They can be quite tricky to lay and the wall is only stable when its pinned to the ceiling.

Thanks for the response.

I've investigated further and the reinforced concrete ceiling is sitting on the exterior brick walls.
Also, the beams are only 2" square, which certainly suggests that all they're really doing is holding the floorboards in place and providing a void for running pipes and cables.
The load's carried by the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back