Removing a swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have purchased a house for residential use which comes with an outdoor swimming pool built around 30 years ago, original boiler, pipework, etc. Considering the cost of energy at the moment, the number of hot days we get in this country and the likelihood of much of it needing replacing, I am thinking of decommissioning it, filling it in and covering it over - does anyone have any experience of the likely costs and other important considerations in doing such a project?

Sponsored Links
jonni - I had to do this when I moved into my present house 25 years ago, so will be unable to advise you on cost. How big is it? What's it made of? Position boiler, type of electrical suppy (mine had 3 phase), etc. Gas boiler and stipping away supply = the Corgi man.

If this is going to be a DIY project and assumming the pool's tiles over blockwork (or even poured concrete), calculate the volume (order that amount crushed rubble), hire staging and a decent breaker. Break the pool base for future drainage, remove the top couple of feet of tiled masonary and let all the waste fall into the pool, top-up with the crushed rubble, compacting as you go. Finish with top soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back