Mira Sport Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I am looking for some advice for a friend's shower.

She has a Mira Sport shower (don't know what the kW is) and the other week she had a problem where it suddenly started to only produce very hot water (regardless of where the temperature knob was set). The only way she could get a bearable temperature of water was to switch to medium flow.

This week the shower will not produce any hot water at all (only freezing cold) and the pressure coming out of the shower appears to be slightly lower than normal (although the low flow light is not on).

Does this sound like it's time for a new shower or would a replacement flow valve or heating unit be the answer? We have a local spares place that can provide all spares for Mira showers at reasonable prices.

Grateful for your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks.

John :)

Sponsored Links
check the tco first for continuity on both sides.
this is the black unit located on top of the heater tank.

have you a pic of the shower cover etc as the mira sport have changed over the yrs

Thanks for the tip. I will have a look at it next time I go to see the shower and I will take a picture of it too.

Could possibly be a clogged filter.
Open the unit after the power has been disconnected.
Turn the water supply off then remove the final water connection to the unit.
You will find a brass mesh filter in the main body, check this is clear.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Pete - do you mean the one in the black plastic bit where the shower unit connects to the mains water supply?

yes you can check that as that will restrict your flow which wil activate the tco due to flow over the elements and getting to hot.

no do a continuity test. or turn power on and see if you have power both sides.

Had another look at this shower at the weekend and there is power at either side of the TCU.

I do however now have first hand experience of the problem!

The shower turns on as normal and runs at normal pressure but is freezing cold (and the low flow light is on - but pressure seems fine). If you turn the temperature knob towards the hot end, nothing happens until you reach the max temperature setting.

At the hottest setting the heating of the water begins (the low flow light goes out - but the pressure doesn't change), but it sounds like a kettle boiling and is followed by boiling hot water spurting out of the shower head for a few seconds before the overheat light comes on and the water then turns freezing cold and the cycle starts again.

At any other temperature setting, the water simply runs cold and the low flow light is on.

Does that help to shed any further light on the problem?? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

John

check the micro switch is making with the flow valve.
check the the flow valve by turning to fully cold then turn to fully hot if the flow don't alter between the two the flow valve is faulty.

check the micro switch is making with the flow valve.
check the the flow valve by turning to fully cold then turn to fully hot if the flow don't alter between the two the flow valve is faulty.
There is no change between the flow at fully cold and fully hot settings (other than the spurting behaviour that I described above). Would a faulty flow valve cause the temperature problems that I am describing as well?

John

check the micro switch on the top of the flow valve on med setting say is it touching.

you have checked both the heating elements for resistance.
should be 12 - 18 ohms each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back