Concrete Finlock Gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Was wondering what is the best way to seal finlock gutters? Have heard about 'foil' and then hot pour bitumen, but am not sure what they mean by 'foil' is it some kind of flashband????

sorry for my ignorance.

Kind regards
Goon

Sponsored Links
I am an old duffer and I can remember Finlock gutters when they were quite popular. Sorry, but they always had problems with leaking joints and unfortunately leaks show up as stains internally. But don't dispair, things have moved on and there are numerous sealing products out there, from the old fashioned black bitumen to more modern silican sealants. Can you be sure the concrete itself is not porous?

Are you thinking of lining the whole gutter or just sealing the joints?

Beeches.

We've had a long term programme in Leeds for the last few years lining them with liquid plastic system, works well in this application.

Thanks for your info.

To totally reseal the finlock gutter with hot pour would i be better off trying to get out the existing covering? it looks like a rubber based bitumen, whats the best way of getting it out? hammer and chisel maybe? and would the bare concrete need priming before sealing with hot pour?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking these gutters were not lined when new. The joints were just cemented together with a strong mix. The fact there is some form of lining in your gutter seems to indicate past problems.

Whatever you do, be very very careful of a hot treatment. Even with a scaffold it is dangerous, but off a ladder it will be a nightmare. You could suffer bad burns to your hands, arms, face, etc.

I suggest you try and clear out the existing lining and remove all lumps, leaving a surface as smooth as possible. Now line completely with the new rubber type flat roof covering which uses a cold adhesive.

To find this product, called EPDM, type "rubber flat roof" into google.
Beeches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back