opening window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a little problem with 1 of my old upvc windows, when the side opening is closed and supposed to be butted up against frame on hinge side, there is a gap of 6 mm or so, which i find draughty and noisy, its seem opening is not pulling tight against frame which is fix to brickwork, could it be the hinges are worn , can anybody give advice on what i need to do to fixing this problem

Sponsored Links
sounds like your friction hinge has broke on the nylon, easy to remedy with a new pair of hinges. just measure and see if window is side hung or top hung it will make a difference to the type you req.

thanks for reply
i checked the hinges didnt notice any broken parts ie nylon, opering is hinge via top and bottom, gap is biggest at bottom of window which butts up against frame, top of opening is appearing to pull tight against frame and seal
hopefully this help with your advice

not quiet picturing what you are trying to explain Iam having a thick moment. try to post a picture and that will help tremendously

Sponsored Links
not quiet picturing what you are trying to explain Iam having a thick moment. try to post a picture and that will help tremendously

sorry not explaining it very well, when window is pulled shut it doesn't seal against frame on hinge side ie were frame is screw and fixed to brickwork.
Opening window frame on hinge side is no pulling tight against frame to make a tight fit to stop draught [

[/url][/list]

this problem someone else is having explain my problems as well

We have a lot of draughts coming through our pvc window frames. The gaps are usually on the hinge side of the bottom of the window and on our bedroom window the gap is £1.50 (about 5mm) wide.

I am finding information on adjustment very difficult to come by but did see someone mention adjusting where the 'window/glass' frame meets the hinge. You have to do this from outside the house.

I looked under the hinge and saw that the window is attached to it by 3 screws - 2 similar and 1 different.

I am reluctant to start messing around with these screws unless I know what I am doing. My head tells me that these screws are just screwed in to pre-drilled holes and that no adjustment is possible. Can anyone tell me otherwise - or how these screws operate?

Finally, if it is possible to adjust the window gaps using this method should I move the window on or off the hinge to make it fit better?

these hinges are pre set and unajustable towards the frame as its the arrow head that pulls the sash back to the frame on the hanging side a new set of hinges will cure this, if you close the window slowly and watch what is happening to the arrow head on the hinge and see if it appears to locate into the receiver. some times if the sash is slightly under sized the arrow head misses but this is usually top.

Thanks for the explanations so far.

I can see the arrow head engaging in the receiver and I suspected that due to the attachment position of the hinge on the sash that perhaps the arrow head wasn't moving far enough in to the receiver in order to be pushed close enough to the window frame.

This is why I was wondering if I could unscrew the three screws where the hinge attaches to the sash and somehow reposition the hinge on the sash.

I didn't want to start unscrewing things until I know what I am doing and if that would actually work. I still don't feel confident that it is possible to reposition the hinge unless someone can inform me otherwise.

There seems to be 3 screws attaching the hinge to the sash. Two are the same and the other is different. Are these screws drilled in to pilot holes in the plastic or are they connected in another way. If they are drilled in to the plastic I don't see how how I am going to be able to make an adjustment.

I don't see how buying a new hinge may help at this stage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back