Self cleaning exterior masonry paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a paint suitable for an external smooth rendered blockwork wall. Some of the wall will get wet including an area near a pond which may get splashed occasionally from the water flowing into it.

I've come across Stormshield self cleaning masonry paint which looks like it will do the job and also one called StoLotusan Color which is more expensive.
Anyone used either and do they actually stay 'clean'?

Sponsored Links
go for an oil based dulux or santex providing the surface is dry you can apply the paint and within 15 mins its rain resistant im sure 1 of them got an antifungaside in them aswell iv used both and they are the dogs danglies ;) you can pressure wash year after year and it will still look as good as new the santex got a 15 yr durabillity watch when ur buying as theres a santex water based and a santex oil based oil based santex 365 i use its called 365 becuase you can use it 365 days a year not like water based got to pray it dont rain and watch the weather forcast for a week;)

I'm looking for a paint suitable for an external smooth rendered blockwork wall. Some of the wall will get wet including an area near a pond which may get splashed occasionally from the water flowing into it.

I've come across Stormshield self cleaning masonry paint which looks like it will do the job and also one called StoLotusan Color which is more expensive.
Anyone used either and do they actually stay 'clean'?

Johnstone Self cleaning would be ideal for damp areas such as ponds & pool areas. Self Cleaning uses rain to wash dirt off, unlike normal masonary. If you do need to clean it your self with water you don't have to use a pressure washer, only a hose pipe.

Johnstone's Self cleaning only needs 1 coat where as the other is a 2 coat job

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/default_majestic.asp?section=14&product=139

The only thing that worries me about that sort of paint is what do you paint over it with..if its self chalking then id guess you could only paint over it with the same stuff..bad news if they aint making it in 15 years time.

Sponsored Links
I've read both of your posts Deborah and you keep dropping adverts for companies. I think that is the main reason for your replies... We look out for this kind of sales pitch on here and can spot it a mile away ;) .. You are permitted to advertise on here, but you will probably have to PAY. :cry: Ask Admin for further details..

Roughcaster.

And..Lo and behold, they are in Staffs too... :confused:

Sorry for replying to an old post - but I'm looking at this self cleaning paint from Johnstones - It's a relatively small rendered area on the front of the house - but it's high enough up for me to not want to be bothered with a pressure washer and repainting any time soon.

So has anyone tried it - haven't seen much info on this online

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back