Inspection/foul drain cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 inspection covers within 1 metre of each other and I have plans to extend out with an extension which will go over inspection cover and leave the remaining cover outside. I had previously assumed that it was necessary to re-route the whole drain so that it remain outside of the extension, however, I'm being told by various builders that it is simply a case of sealing blocking the inspection cover that will fall inside the planned extension and simply continue to use the remaining cover for the rodding point. This being the case can anyone advise on sealing the cover that will fall into the interior?

Sponsored Links
it may be that you could do away with one of the i.c.'s altogether, this may be unlikely, but worth investigating.

if it is the case that both i.c.'s remain, then the chamber that falls within the extension can be 'sealed' but must still remain serviceable. this involves fitting a screw down double seal lid to the chamber.

"sealing and blocking" is not acceptable.

"sealing and blocking" is not acceptable.

my sis in law had this done in extension, guess what happens when drain gets blocked and the stuff builds pressure. yes the lid gives way.

noseal is spot on!
You need to investigate the drains within the i.c's, you may find one is foul, the other surface water. Just run water to test, from sinks, toilets and gullies and see what goes where. If it's all one drain you may be able to divert the drains from the i.c. to be covered, into the other one. But you have to ask, why wasn't that done in the first place?!!
If they're two separate drains you won't be able to do that, but may still be able to relocate the offending i.c.
Make sure you leave access to the drains whatever. Once covered, they're sure to block and you'll be knackered!
You'll need Building Regulations approval for your extension, so speak to Building Control at your Council office (usually a helpful bunch).
Double seal bolt down covers won't leak if fitted properly, but it's a brave man that takes the lid off when the i.c. below is bursting with you-know-what!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back