Fitting a velux in a trussed roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help, i've fitted many velux windows but they always have been in a traditional cut roof, mainly i guess is because people want to use the loft space or to get light in there.
Anyway i've been asked to fit one in a trussed roof and im wondering if this is possible, i mean do you just frame it out as if your putting one in a trad cut one? or will this weaken the trusses?
Any help will be apprecated
Dave

Sponsored Links
You cant cut trusses in the way you can cut rafter in a traditional roof unless the "cut" has been included in the design as the roofs spread the loads in different ways.

If you really need to alter a truss or trusses you will need engineers calculations and design or fit a suitably sized Velux.

as above.

but, if no cutting of the truss is required then boxing down to the ceiling with plasterboard and framing should not cause any prob's.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Noseall, you have said what i was thinking and what i have said to the customer, will have to look for windows to fit inside the trusses.
Thanks
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back