unused chimney ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an unused chimney stack in my houes. It goes from my living room and up through bedroom.

The fireplace has been plasterboarded closed. Now I know that unused chimney stack should be ventilated but was wandering wha the best way to go about this is.

Should I just cut away some of the plasterboard away on the top of the boarded in fireplace and cover with a grill vent or should i actully drill into the chimney stack and vent in the living room and then also in the bedroom.

I will be renting a core drill in a few weeks to vent my kitchen extractor so it should be to hard to drill some more holes in the chinmey stack at various levels in the house.

If I kep it simple and just vent the fireplace I assume this will work as passive stack ventilation, which is a good thing..right?? If I vent the actual stack at various levels will i loose this passive stack effect and are there any benefits to venting at various levels.

Thanks for any advice

al

Sponsored Links
definatly go for the board but at the bottom to reduce the amount off stagnent air

you also need to check for ventilation above the roof level to allow through ventilation

Thanks, by above roof level do you mean the chimney pots? They aren't blocked up, so that should be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back