GARAGE CONVERSION HELP!

tbc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IM TRYING TO CONVERT MY GARAGE INTO A MAIN BEDROOM BECAUSE WE ARE EXPECTING A THIRD AND NEED THE ROOM.
IT IS FIXED TO THE MAIN STUCTURE OF THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE WITH NOTHING ABOVE IT.ALL WALLS ARE SOLID BRICK.I NEED TO BUILD AN INTERNAL WALL TO SEGREGATE THE GARAGE AND CUT THROUGH THE MAIN SUPPORTING GROUND WALL FOR A DOOR WAY FOR ACCESS TO THE ROOM.I ALSO WANT TO INSTALL A SHOWER, SINK AND TOILET, DRAINS ARE ACCESSIBLE.IVE BEEN TOLD I NEED BUILDING REGS!HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING THEM.WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SORT THE DOOR WAY OUT?,WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BUILD IT AND WITH WHAT?.THE BEDROOM WILL TAKE UP HALF THE GARAGE.THE OTHER HALF WOULD BE USED AS THE GARAGE STILL.IM ALSO INSTALLING WERE THE EXTERNAL ACCESS DOOR AREA TO THE GARAGE AT THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE WITH A DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOW.DOES ANYBODY HAVE A ROUGH GUESS WHAT THE DAMAGE WOULD BE FOR ME TO GET A BUILDER IN TO SORT THIS OUT AND HOW ABOUT I GO ABOUT IT PLANS,CONTRACTS, COST? ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Search for " garage conversion " on here. This has been done to death

Hi,
Call local planning office at your council. Check if you need Planning Permission. Check if you have a 'garage condition' on your property IF so you will need planning permission (but they don't charge for the application if the only reason is the grage condition) This was in MY case.
Draw plans yourself if you can it will save you ££. Full plans
Get PP
After PP, I applied for building notice. (not full plans version in my case)
To get ideas goto your local council website, check all planning permission applications being submitted on a weekly basis. Download the drawings, get ideas from other conversions!!
Rougly calculate the costs and add +30% (my guess, it always costs more than you think)

Window to replace door ; mine was £550+ (G.bar, many openings)
Brick wall below window + insulate floor, screed ontop, knock through door ... in the region of £1400 (not including bricks £150 extra)

Hope this gives you an idea, check my album....
KS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back