Confused on what to do with damp problems

ctf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had conflicting answers on how to resolve my damp issues in my end of terrace, victorian house. Id really appreciate some assistance / contact details on who best to consult to get this solved.

I have got rotting skirting boards and soft blown plaster along the main outside wall of the property.
Apparently work was undertaken this some 20 years ago (evidence is there that damp work was done - replastered 1m from floor. This is problem area.
Outside, when it rains heavilly and with the way in which the camber in the road, all the rain pours right along this wall. Inadequent drainage.

I appreciate i need to divert this water perhaps, but do i need to inject walls again (ive heard this is a waste of time) and replaster.
Or do i have this work done, and not worry about the outside problem.

I have spoken to the highways authority but dont hold much luck with them doing something about it.

thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
If the ground level is too high, then not only will damp penetrate about the DPC level, but the ability of the lower part of the wall to dry out is compromised.

Once the plaster has become adulterated with salts from below, it becomes a wick for more moisture, so it will need to be removed.

You'll need to fix the cause of the damp before replastering.

Have you read the various rising damp topics on the forum/fora?

Outside is rendered, cant tell if it has a dpc. Ouside the previous owners had a concret slab about a foot wide down the length of the building in an attempt to direct the water along. This is lower than the floor level inside.

I have read many topics re rising damp (or its non existance).
My plasterered told me to inject with spr, then apply a waterproof sand / cement mix, followed by a skim coat.

If i could direct the water away so that the river of water doesnt flow past, could i then just knock back to the brick, leave to dry (how long? hardwall then skim) without injecting?

Outside is rendered, cant tell if it has a dpc.
That's why I was careful to write "DPC level".

Ouside the previous owners had a concret slab about a foot wide down the length of the building in an attempt to direct the water along. This is lower than the floor level inside.
Can you measure how much lower?

I have read many topics re rising damp (or its non existance).
;)

My plasterered told me to inject with spr, then apply a waterproof sand / cement mix, followed by a skim coat.
That's not a bad idea, but instead of injecting you could just let the bricks dry out.

If i could direct the water away so that the river of water doesnt flow past, could i then just knock back to the brick, leave to dry (how long? hardwall then skim) without injecting?
Impossible to forecast drying time. Better to measure the rate of drying with a meter, once the plaster is removed.

Sponsored Links
I have spoken to the highways authority but dont hold much luck with them doing something about it.

The authority/local council does have an obligation here, and if the highway is inadequatly constructed/drained then they are responsible for any damage to your property.

Send a formal letter of claim and require the necessary work to be done to the highway, and claim the cost of remedial work/damage to your property. Your household insurers should assist. You may need an experts report to assist in quantifying the cause and damage.

Render would normally prevent moisture ingress through or down the wall, and the issue would be with moisture coming up.

If the existing level is above any DPC, then that should be sorted out. If not, then it's a case of determining whether any DPC has failed and requires renewal, or if there is no existing DPC then is one required or will drainage alone do the job?

If you can't work this out yourself, then you probably need to get someone suitable to look at the problem, and see what is required - particularly if the issue relates jointly to problems with the highway and your property

First off I would stop the water pooling against the house. Either change the ground level and camber or install a linear drain against the house which discharges to a sewer or soak away. When I had solved that part I would wait and see if the bricks dry out on their own. You are right to be suspicious about injecting DPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back