PVC or timber facias ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm finally getting near to tiling the roof on my new extension. The spec says white PVC fascias, soffits and barge boards. I'm thinking of using a 17mm thick PVC full replacement board (from Fascias.com) nailed directly onto the ends of the rafter feet rather than a timber fascia with a PVC clad.

Has anyone any experience of this, does it look OK and is it strong enough to support the tiles at the eaves? Any comments/advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the only advantage that i can see is that a clad fascia can be replaced without worrying about the eaves tiles dropping.

Thanks Noseall, that's a good point. Have you ever used anything similar or do you always use timber for fascias?

Also, I've just had a thought, if I use PVC straight onto the rafter feet I'll be able to see a couple of nail heads (PVC covered) every 400mm, or do you not notice them?

Any further comments will be welcome, I'm still not sure which way to go.

Thanks.

most of our extensions specify upvc fascia and soffit. we always use cover/clad fascia.

this involves a plywood carcass both for the fascia and the soffit. we then fit the roof tiles then fit all the soffit boards and fascia.

'poly nails' are used for fixing - plastic headed nails that correspond with whatever colour fascia you decide to use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Noseall, that's what I really should have asked - how would you do it. I'll do the same.

Much appreciated, cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back