Builder has created Wind Tunnel in New Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Can anyone please advise me? We have recently finished an over-garage extension to create a new bedroom. However, since the builders have left we are getting what I can only describe as flapping noises in high winds from the roof which is so noisy we are unable to sleep. Is there any easy way to fix this.

On looking at roof felt it appears to sucking itself in and out, so creating the noise - seems too loose!

Sponsored Links
if it is breather membrane then manufacturers recommend that the product is not stretched tight but allowed to sag slightly between rafters.

i have never encountered it being a problem before though. :confused:

OK - so that sounds not too bad then but the wind rush up there is terrible in high winds and it basically sounds like we are sleeping in a tent in the new room despite having all the insulation above us.

it seems odd that you have such noticeable air movement within the loft.

how is the roof space vented?

Sponsored Links
Oh god - presumably via the eaves but we do have a knock-through between the original roof and the new one. The old one is fine as has older tough underfelt but this one seems to sag a bit too much. Hubbie thinking about bracing it back up against trusses. It is extremely dry though and has withstood some terrible weather as we are very exposed. I can put my arm down the underfelt and feel the tiles - 2ft overlap - maybe just gaffer tape the overlaps from the inside????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back