Easy wall lining.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my garage to a small home office. The internal walls are bocks and I want to clad them for insulation and appearance. I know I will have to batten the walls first, but because of my health I would find it impossible to handle the weight of plasterboard. I am probably looking for something that does not exist, but may be someone can confirm one way or the other. My perfect solution would be a very lightweight board probably about 10mm thick which I could glue to the battens but would have a smooth exterior finish that could be painted if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestion, but I think this may be too expensive.....sorry I did not mention cost could be an issue, not that I am looking for a cheap fix that would be unsatisfactory, but I was hoping for a sheet material, maybe 6/8x4 that was lightweight and could also be easily cut, if such a thing exsists?

What about 8x4 sheets of imitation wall paneling, made from plywood. Not very thick stuff, but easy to handle,,,,, again because it is thinner, you would need studwork with the uprights closer together,,and noggins for extra strength and support to attach it too. You can fix it with small pins/grab adhesive. A length of skirting here and there and you'll have a neat enough looking job.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a good idea, but as the walls are all outside walls I would need some insulation, could I put insulation in between the batens and panel, say an inch thick, and if so, what would you reccomend?

as long as you create a void of greater than 25mm then this void can be insulated.

typically 25mm x 50mm (directly fixed to the wall) battens are used as a minimum. it is possible to then use sheet insulation at 25mm thick betwixt battens.

whether 25mm will be enough is doubtful. if you are trying to create a comfortable, habitable, heated space then you may need to look at high performance insulation backed plasterboards.

are we talking about cavity walls, solid 225mm or single skin?

if you intend spending a lot of time in there with sensitive electronic equipment and lots of absorbent paper, then i would seriously consider more substantial insulation.

Ummm........ Now you have got me thinking, there will be computers, a printer and scanners. Where from here with my original spec?

Metal stud is very lightweight and easy to fix. 75mm insulation in between and cover with 9.5mm plasterboard, cheap and light if you get it in the 1220x900mm size (aka baseboard)

Going with the cladding idea, how about 9mm tongue n groove timber cladding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back