Sand blinding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've a panic on!
I'm doing my garage base and am up to the sand blinding layer. I have had three bulk bags of "sharp concreting sand" delivered and used. I have run short so ordered another bag which came yesterday. My panic is that the new sand is a different consistency and colour to the first three.
The first ones were very coarse and greyish in colour whereas the latest bag is finer and brown in colour.
Have they sent me the wrong stuff?
Is it ok to use?
Please don't tell me the first batch was wrong???
Help!!
Dave

Sponsored Links
I have had three bulk bags of "sharp concreting sand" delivered and used.

jeepers! how thick are you laying the blinding layer! :eek:

it makes no odds so long as the sand has no particles large enough to pierce the dpm.

Hi Noseall

Thanks for the reassurance. The architect has specified 50mm.
The base is 5960 x 6560.
I think my hardcore layer could have been more level as I've probably used the excess sand to bring the levels up.
Must go and get it finished before dark!
Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
<looks out window>

Oops, too late for an answer.

But 25mm and building sand (ie no sharp grit) would have been better :rolleyes:

Yes, Woody, you're right.

My architect has just been a pain in the ar**.

When he drew the specs for the raft foundation (trees too close for strip foundation) the BCO's comment was "this is a bit over the top, more like a raft for a two storey dwelling than a single skin garage"

Called it a day now having spread the remaining sand and done some compacting. What gets me is with each pass I get a ridge down the side of the wacker, I suppose this will eventually go when the sand is sufficiently compacted.

Dave

don't worry about the sand being too uneven so long as it has been compacted into the hardcore layer. you can knock it about with a shovel before laying the dpm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back