valley lay boards - what are they & how do i construct p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
existing room in roof, ex tiled pitchedroof specified by Struct eng. to join to new roof at a valley using layboards (no valley beam), no other structure under valley.
s.e. not around this week, cant find any pictures / diagrams in books or internet - havent a clue really what this looks / detailed-

please can someone point me in the right direction at some illustration / diagram so i can fathom out what i need to order ... and then do..

many thanks J.

Sponsored Links
There are threads on this - one within the past 3/4 months with details and images

thanks,
i dont suppose you can remember the author / any details can you , i did search, the only thing i found was Aug08 a very brief description of 200 x 38mm wood - i couldnt figure it out from that
thanks J.

there must be structure under the valley if you are using a layboard, as a layboard is a piece of timber that sits on the main roof rafters to give the diminishing rafters, of the intersecting roof, something to sit on.
To have no structue under the valley you would need to fix a valley blade, which is a more substantial piece of timber running the length of the valley supporting common rafters from both roofs

Sponsored Links
I know that I posted in the threads.

If a search for valley does not come up with the threads, then use google to search this site, as google will normally find the parts that DIYnot does not reach

as chappers said, a lay board simply 'collects' the diminishing rafter ends.

it must be wide enough so that the splayed cut rests entirely upon the lay board.

setting the lay board requires a little knowledge. you need to have the common rafters in place in order to 'range through' with a straight edge.

if none of this makes sense then get a pro' in. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back