installing metal roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a play house/garden shed and have it framed with the rafters up. I want to put a metal roof on, can I nail 2x4 slats across the rafters and screw the metal roofing onto the slats or do I need to put sheeting on first and do I put the screws on the ridge on the flat section.
Thanks or any help or suggestions.
DG

Sponsored Links
No idea which type of sheeting/ridge you are using so can't really answer the questions. 2x4 sounds excessive though, use 2x2 for the cross purlins. If you have more than sufficient rafter depth for the span you can house them into the rafters partially, by cutting slots in the rafters, and letting the 2x2 sit in these slots before screwing down at all junctions.

The type of metal sheeting that I am using came from Home Depot and is 36" wide with 4 ridges 9" apart . My rafters are 2x4. I was going to use
2x4 for cross pieces because I have extras.
Thanks for your quick response.
DG

Sponsored Links
Hi. What metal are you proposing to use? Is it an up and over roof with gable ends? I will try to help if you can post answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back