Building on top of ex-garage concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our garden is built into the side of a hill and has been terraced into a few levels. At the top level there is a driveway. The next level down is approx 5' lower and there is a concrete base where an old garage used to stand, the concrete area is enclosed on 2 sides by walls to the height of the top level.

I want to build retaining walls on the remaining open 2 sides of the concrete base and then build this up to the same level as the driveway above to create a parking spot.

Only one problem - I don't know how or where to start!

Any ideas?
(hope it makes sense!)

Sponsored Links
start with adequate foundations!

do you intend using the space created, i.e. fitting a reinforced concrete roof with a door into the 'void' beneath?

or, do you wish to solid fill the space and concrete the pad as normal?

Thanks for the reply!

I just want the finished area to blend in with the ground around it which is basically compacted earth with gravel on top. I won't be building anything on top of it.

The questions I have are - What sort of foundations would I need to lay? What construction do the walls need to be? What do I fill the "space" with and do I need to finish with a concrete pad on top?

Here's (an admittedly rubbish) picture that might help give an idea of what I'm talking about! The dotted lines are where I need to build the retaining walls.

Cheers![/img]

Sponsored Links
Cheers for reply, it's less than that - just!

Any ideas as to the best method of doing this?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back