Causing a Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in our home for over 2 years and we recently had to get some structural work done as part of the mortgage deal as the front aspect of the house had a bow in it. During this work, they rebuild the front wall directly above the downstairs window up until the bedroom window.

The other night, we experienced some heavy rain and water started to drop from the inside above the downstairs window. Now, when we've looked at the building work completed, the builder appear to have simply placed some sort of steal plynth directly on top of the window frame with a bit of crumbling cement on that followed by the bricks. We've looked at this and this appears to be the cause of the leak. We've spoken to the structural surveryor who tendered the work and he states that this is not the case (without actually coming out to look at it).

I've attached a few photos to show you what I mean. I'd like your opinions to see if this is good practice or not?

The first image shows the window with the steel beam above it followed by the brickwork and the second image shows you a close up. It may appear discoloured a little but that is because I have just applied some "waterproofing" substance to it to see if this assists

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this a cavity wall? If so, ask them if they installed a cavity tray above the window. They should have, and this stops water ingress above the frame.

BTW, that is terrible brickwork for something that has been rebuilt. Its very poorly bonded, and if I was managing it, it would not be acceptable, and would be taken down and re-built properly

Thanks for the reply Woody. Yes this is a cavity wall. Whether or not a cavity tray was installed or not though, I don't know.

I did complain at the time to the structural surveyor who was instructed to carry out the work but he simply just dismissed my comments, stating that he was the expert and not me.

Can you recommend anything I can use just in case there isn't a cavity tray in place? My only concern is that there is a deep resevoir of rain water sitting on top of the windo in between the two cavities. Can I place anything onto the exterior cavity to assist in preventing rain water getting through?

If a cavity tray has not been installed, then the work has not been done correctly - its as simple as that. There is nothing you can do except get the work re-done

And if some supposedly expert has been specifying or managing this work then they are either incompetent or masquerading as an expert under false pretenses.

Get the engineer back, ask him what standard the wall has been built to and if he is happy that the work done is "fit for purpose". Then ask him what professional body he belongs to (as you will complain about his attitude) and the details of his PI insurer (as you will be making a claim against it). If he has a senior partner or manger at his firm, then complain to them too.

Then dismiss him and get someone else to deal with this.

Get the work re done properly and submit the bill to the engineer for settling.

Sponsored Links
Can't really see from the picture but they might have used the correct lintel but I can't see any weep holes for the water to escape from. Looking at the lower picture it looks as though the lintel is rusty anyway so should've been replaced anyhow.
Get another opinion from a different surveyor and go from there. It may cost £100 but I'm sure you can claim it back from the monkeys who did this job.

I wonder if he is really a "surveyor" or a bloke wot does estimating at the builder's?

p.s. my granny could do better brickwork than that, and she's been dead for 30 years.

Looking at the quality of the brickwork I would think that its quite likely that the tray was left out. It looks like a piece of angle iron over the frame, or possibly just flat bar with very little bearing.
If the builder didn't understand how to set out stretcher bond to half bond and rub up the joints properly I doubt if he knows what a tray is.

yeah as a brickie this surely is nt one for the portfolio. in fact shocking really.when we do any remedial work like this time is taken to make sure it s barely noticable.definatley recommend getting them back

oh and tell them they can borrow my old nash book it has lots of setting out, :LOL: even such difficult bonds as stretcher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back