grant work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, got to price up a job and the woman said its grant work, never done any grant work before so how does this work???

Sponsored Links
you just give her a quote as normal.

it is knowing who you are billing that is more important....:cool:

Not quite.

You give her an inflated quote - as someone else is paying :rolleyes:

AKA a "gravy train"

But definitely confirm who is paying, who will be invoiced and when payment will be made

just been round to quote up, the local council is paying and im the first of 2 quotes she's got to get, she told me to put the quote on letter headed paper with name and address on. i imagine if i get the job then the council will pay me?, don't like the sound of that as they might take ages to coff up!, anyone know if this is about right?

Sponsored Links
We do a lot of grant work, mainly DFGs.
Council are the best payers you can get, always by BACS and usually in a hurry as they need to get rid of the money or they'll loose it. Can't really give inflated quote as like you said they ask for 2 estimates. Presumably you had to fill in a specification form outlining exactly what was being quoted for? If not then you and the other builder may have different ideas on ow to do the job resulting in wildy different prices.

just quoted up as normal, she seemed happy with the prices but like i said i'm the first of 2 quotes so wait and see, she wants it doing as soon as possible, how long do the council drag there heels over grant work?

Our council are quite quick - normally a couple of weeks. Like I said they usually have a budget to spend with a deadline to spend it so they don't wait around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back