is there a maximum height for conifers to grow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
neighbours conifers and some trees are becoming a right pain as they overhang some gardens including mine by nearly 3 feet, im just about to cut them back myself but can i chop them down up to my boundry?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can, but you have to give the clippings back to your neighbour, as they are not your property.

I think you should tell them what you propose to do, ie cut the conifer, then ask them do they want the bits..

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can, but you have to give the clippings back to your neighbour, as they are not your property.
Just to correct this slightly, "you have to 'offer' them back".

If you just cut them off and put them in the neighbours garden you are actually dumping waste. You have to offer them to them (they are most likely to refuse them) before disposing of them yourself.

Bear in mind that if your pruning harms these trees by pruning too much back you can be liable for damages.

The best action is to discuss it with the neighbour if you are on talking terms.
If not write them a letter advising them that they are overhanging & ask them to prune them within a set time, if they do not you will do this yourself.

If you are on talking terms you may be surprised that the neighbour wants to set about maintaining them themselves so that they can be satisfied that it is done according to their preferences so should always be given the opportunity to do so first.

Remember that you can go no further than the boundary, neither can you go on next doors land to do this.

This is asked on a weekly basis over on the gardenlaw.co.uk forums where they give good advise on garden issues.

Mattylad's description is more accurate, yes offer them back but don't be surprised if they don't want them.

[you may be surprised that the neighbour wants to set about maintaining them themselves so that they can be satisfied that it is done according to their preferences

not if I am your neigbour :LOL:

same scenario, but the trees are mine, i told my neighbour he could cut off all of his side if he wanted to, so he did. (I hate the trees anyway, but I like my neighbour)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back