Brick pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Could anyone please advise me on how to point a small section of brick work on a 1970's built house.
I have 2 rows of bricks above the garage which require pointing and I was wondering if it is at all possible, to get roughly the same colour mortar as the rest of the house.
I realise due to wheathering it is going to be hard to do but I was wondering if there is anything that could be added to the mortar to darken it slightly.

Thank you
mickfos

Sponsored Links
It is possible to get a close match if you have the time. The most important thing to start with is to use the same type of sand. If you mix some of the existing mortar with acid it will leave you with a sample of the sand. The amount of iron oxide in it determines the colour. You can age mortar by toning it down with a small amount of cementone. Aim to get it a bit darker than the existing as it will lighten with time. There is a company in Scotland that can match mortar if you need an exact match.
I have found that with practice you can get quite close to the existing. Its surprising how many bricklayers make no attempt to match it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back