Digging up floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my living room we have a concrete floor in which I want to lay an internet broadband cable in. Now I was planning to chisel out a small channel so that I can put a small plastic conduite and them cement over to level off. I guess I would have to go 1cm deep.

Now what are the chances I will hit something importnant when chiselling?

The main gas pipe goes from the meter outside and up the side of the house so I am hoping I wont find a gas pipe. The water from the stopcock goes in a different direction in the floor to where I will be digging.

So I guess that just leaves any electric mains cable to the house? Now I live in a semi detatched house and I will be digging from my outside side wall in towards the fuse box stopping about half a metre away. I am hoping any mains electric cables will come from the front of the house like the water and gas does.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
have you thought about running the cable around the skirting board thats if there are no doors in the way i have done it that way stuck it to the floor with grip fix and you still have access to the cable

put trunking up on the wall. its available in a variety of sizes, even triangular for one cable

have you thought about running the cable around the skirting board thats if there are no doors in the way i have done it that way stuck it to the floor with grip fix and you still have access to the cable

I would have to go about 14 metres round the wall and over a doorway rather than 2-3 metres under the floor. Also I really won't need access to the cable aagain.

And I won't put any trunking up the walls.

It really is an easy task to put it under the floor, I just wanted to know how likely it is I will hit anything. Also bear in mind I will only go 1cm down. Could be even less if needed as I could just cement the cable in. Its just a broadband cable that could always be cut off at floor level in the future if I dodnt want it anymore.

Sponsored Links
If you want to be sure use a DIY cable finder. It should penetrate 1cm into concrete easily. I've got a stanley one and it is really good. Or you could try and hide one of the industrial ones they use for finding road pipes.

They're expensive - even if nobody sees him hiding it the police might be called to investigate.

:LOL:

Describe "broadband cable"

Do you mean a telephone cable, or a Cat5e/Cat6 cable, or a co-ax CATV Cable?

Describe "broadband cable"

Do you mean a telephone cable, or a Cat5e/Cat6 cable, or a co-ax CATV Cable?

I really don't know the name. Its the cable that goes from the box on the wall to the modem. It screws in both end if that helps?

IIts not a telephone cable but I think its a co-ax CATV Cable

Oh and I have Virgin media broadband.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back