Steel size help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly a hello to all, my first time here.

I wish to have a go at producing my own drawings and the eventual build of an extension to our bungalow

So i am looking for some divine inspiration as to how to go about working out the correct sizing for a universal beam with a span of 3metres over an opening at the rear of the bungalow.

I believe that i may be right in saying that the pillars for this should be 500 x 225mm but i could do with some guidance on how to satisfy the local building control on my drawings.

Now, i am not beyond paying for the services of a structural engineer if this is the best course of action, but i would still like to have an understanding of what the process is.

I have done a part build on an extension in our previous property to local
Building control standards and my back ground is in electrical engineering so i am not a complete numpty.

I have information to say that the proposed Universal beam should be either 203 x 133 or i could use 254 x 102 but how do you get to those sizes via the calcs.

Can anyone help?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome :)

Is this a cavity wall? If so, is there any requirement to support facing bricks on the outside?

While those beam sizes will probably work, if it's a cavity wall with facing brick will mean that it will need plating/stiffening to support the outer leaf = ££££s. A proprietary lintel such as a Catnic will undoubtedly be fine.

Beam sizing depends on loadings applied to the beam, span and restraint conditions. Which needs to be worked out, either from someone visiting and doing a measure up, or working from your drawings.

Thirdly, if you go for something like a Catnic, send them your drawings and they'll size you one of their lintels for nowt, whether for a cavity or solid wall.

If, after all that, you want a qualified SE to look at it, send me an email and I'll give you a price for so doing (off your drawings, I mean, not visiting!).

Thanks shytalkz

Forgot to add that the universal beam would have to support 3metres worth of my roof.

As before it is a bungalow though so whilst structural, not majorly so.
But i dont want it crashing down around us.

I need to remove the outer cavity wall for that three metres to be able to break through into the extension which i havent even started yet.

The reason for the two sized beams gives me an option to fit the beam either on the existing roof birdsmouths on the outer wall plate or the taller beam on the inner leaf. but perhaps its better to spread the load across the two leaves.

I am surprised that a catnic may suffice ?

I am still in the process of doing the drawings but i think i have enough to send, i just need to scan the relevant bits and takes some pics to assist
but i am keen to take up your offer ( at a sensible price of course :) )

One of my sticking points with my drawings is this beam, and the other the roof design, but thats another isssue.

Will send an e mail later......thanks for the help ! :D

Tried to send you a message shytalkz but it wont let me for some reason.
it appears i need to be on your friends list or something.

Sponsored Links
You have a message shytalkz.....thanks :D

Incidentally now i have found this site and had a nosey around, it looks good and i will frequent more.
Hopefully to be able pass on knowledge in my field perhaps and assist someone else.

On other forums i have been on you can converse privately, but i see no buttons on here to be able to do that.

Perhaps i am missing something.....anyone shed any light ?

Cracking site i must say !

Follow up for any others reading this ......and most of all a big thank you to shytalkz.

My sincere and heartfelt thanks for your help, this guy knows his stuff !
One very happy bunny.

This chap is the dogs gonads !!!! :D :cool: :D :cool:

Aw shucks, that's very kind of you.... :oops:

Glad to be of service my friend.

Jeeez ... get a room will you

Er blonde moment.................heellllllooooooo

That was the origional idea ! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back