Removing Loft Joist Cross Bridging to make way for flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks in advance for any and all advice. I am putting a chipboard flooring down in my loft to make way for storage. The joists that the chipboard will be on have cross bridging which will interfere with putting the boards down neatly. My instincts tell me that once the flooring is down and screwed to the joists they will serve the same function to support the joists as the cross bridging did, if not more so since there will be many more of them. Does this sound right or am I way off on this one? If this will work are there any tricks I should be aware of during that interim period between removal of cross bridging and installation of flooring or any tricks related to loft flooring in general. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
there will be some degree of stiffening going on but not enough to remove a ceiling binder entirely.

also as you will presumably be adding weight to the floor, then the ceiling binder becomes even more important.

Sponsored Links
abus - leave your structural timbers alone as they're there for a reason. Cut your chipboard flooring around them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back