Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior Boiler ??? Fault ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

At a loss with this boiler, any suggestions would be much appreciated! Please see below...

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Combi Gas Boiler

Whenever it is really cold outside my boiler decides to switch itself off (6 times in 1 1/2 years). It is under a service contract and warrantee with British Gas which I have called out three times.

Basically the system seems to have a mind of its own (other than this switching off issue) the thermostats are set at 18 day and night yet one minute its so hot you cant bear it and the next its too cold to move!

Things that have happened recently are the annual service performed by BG and I replaced batteries in clock/timer thermostat (as thought may be the cause of one or both of the problems)

This has been a problem since British Gas fitted this brand new boiler

Whenever we get a cold snap it happens

British gas keep saying they cant tell what is wrong unless they see what lights are flashing at the time of the system failure...?? Surely they can plug something in to identify a fault like they do with my car??

They have come out three times and each time have said they cant work out why it is doing it and they say watch the lights and let us know what they do when the fault occurs (which I have - the light was off, not flashing or anything) but still nothing done.

Have tried the troubleshooting section in the extremely brief manual for 26i/28i Junior model and still at a loss.

At the moment since I pressed the re-set button followed by the on/off button when it failed to start up at the weekend after it switched off, the over-ride light (and button which incidently do not feature in the manual at all) is on one minute off the next then flashing intermittently the next.. could this have anything to do with it?

Really fed up with it now, Please help!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Have tried the troubleshooting section in the extremely brief manual

Thats all us installers have to go on. Most of the flowchartss end with Pcb or gas valve fault :confused: :confused: (not always the case)

I believe WB engineers have diagnostic software. Surprised Bg dont have one.

Sponsored Links
do you have a PT plus or RC plus wireless stat or the worcester version

I think what you are refering to is the programmable room stats reciever.
when the lights flash on the reciever in sending and recieving a signal to the stat, this will happen every 3 minuits and when ever a command is recieved. When the light is continually on depending on the model, this means a call for heat is present and the boiler should fire up(there can be up to 15 minuit delay). it you push the button on the reciever you are over ride the clock on telling the boiler to constantly stay on all the time (this feature is usually used when stat batteries are dead so you have heat incase batteries cant be replaced straight away). The stat needs to be set up with reciever again to disable over ride.

The boiler book wont have this information in as it is an extra to the boiler. You should have a separate manual for the stat and reciever.

You tend to find this fault when the op moves her RF into different rooms and never has it fixed in 1 position. I had 2 where 1 left it in lounge with fire on and the second in bathroom window after she had shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back