Killing Grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i need an area of grass that i want gone.

What is an easy, effective and cheap way to eliminate the grass?

Ive read a few articles already and some have mentioned sprinkling salt over it or pouring vinegar on it. Have anyone used this approach? any feedback/tips? How much do i need to use?

cheers

Sponsored Links
go - you can borrow my dog - a guaranteed way to finish off a lawn.

Seriously, small area use a spade ... chop in, then wedge the spade handle against your leg and push (sort of nudging it - if you take great swings at the ground all you'll do is your back). This removes a top slice of turf off (pile it up 'cos it make great compost) and leaves the ground firm. If you can't be ars*d to do this then just dig it over.

Big area - hire a turf removing machine - about the size of a motor mower but HEAVIER.

I suspect you may not want to expend any energy on this task (salt & vinegar??) so cover the grass with black plastic, or a tarpaulin, or old carpet, etc. This will kill the stuff off but takes a bit of time.

IMO you should avoid chemicals - why poison the ground?

Sponsored Links
Use roundup. follow dilution rate on the label. all grass and weeds dead within 14 days and the chemical itself breaks down on contact with earth so no contamination

atm the stretch of grass is already been covered by a sheet of weed mat with pebbles over it wth the intention stopping the grass grow but it's still growing through.

ive also tried digging it out and grass still finds a way to grow.

if my budget permits i will try roundup

buy the concentrated sort rather than the trigger spray, better value for money.

I recently found that a 10 ton skip left on the lawn for 3 weeks does the job nicely for you :D

I buy my vinegar in a gallon drum, to be diluted at 16-1, pay i pay £4, very good weed and grass killer. Cheap as chips. and you can put it on your chips. And it matures.

I wanted to buy a grass killer but i thing the one i bought i a total vegetation killer :evil: I put it on the front yard where i had a lot of grass and even the little stones have now some more abrasion.
Can I bring it back to the shop?
I think it's crazy to sell something like that as grass killer ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back