"K" glass misted up on the outside in the cold mo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I built a conservatory about 12 months ago its been great as per regs K glass was used but every morning now when its cold even in the autumn the glass misted up on the outside in a large square leaving about 25mm clear around the mist WHY???? none of the other double glazing in the house does it my brother has a conservatory but without K glass and his never mists up i must point out its all on the outside so in the mornings its impossible to see out at all
So can someone explain why it does it ????
I also went to a house the other day it was a pair of semis and one had the same problem and the other did not
So much for keeping up to regulations and using K glass

mick

Sponsored Links
why not ask Pilkington? they make the stuff and i sure they will know or want to see for themselves

Its quite normal and I get it quite often on my double glazed windows. It means your windows are thermally efficient, therefore the outer pain is cold and in certain conditions the pain is colder than the dew point of the outsid air and water condenses on it, misting it up on the outside. With older double glazing that does not have a low e coating i.e pilkington K the outside pain gets heated from the warmth within the house and thus is at a higher temperature than the dew point of the outside air.

I think it only happens in the center of the windows because the edges are normally the least efficient due the spacer bar bewteen the panes. I think this is probably why there is condensation on the inside around the edges of windows and not normally in the middle.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the "K" glass club; it's normal & shows it's working effectively. All our windows & new cons were done at the same time, the cons is always bad 1st thing in the morning this time of year but it clears after a while. The rest of the house stays mainly clear so I think the cons. is worse because the lower internal temperature this time of year slows down heat transfer to the outer pane causing warmer air outside to condense on the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back