Device to stop French door from swinging in wind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had bifold alu doors fitted at the back where it gets very windy. In summer when the doors are open, the access door will be free to swing open and will not stop until the frame hits the reveal. This will damage the frame and could even damage the hinges by leverage.

We need something, which will stop the swinging door then capture it. I have searched through all the online door furniture catalogues without success so I am thinking of knocking up a bracket, which will be screwed to the reveal and braced to the wall outside, incorporating both a buffer and a clip to hold the door in place.

I could sink a post into the ground and use a hook but I am certain that either Grandma or our absent-minded son will one day forget to hook the door, which will fly open and self-destruct. Only one violent swing will be enough to damage the frame.

Anybody got any suggestions for a ready-made solution or home-made?

Sponsored Links
you can get a self-latching door stop/catch, but I don't know what they are called. Might be a sort of Door Holder.

Has a sloping flat brass plate on a spring, when the door first hits it, it slides up the slope and the plate pushes down on the spring, then as the door passes the plate, it springs back up and prevents the door swinging back. You press on the plate when you want to release the door.

"Ironmongery Direct" probably have them.

Or you could use a counter catch or a magnetic door holder

Or maybe
Thumbnail.aspx

Ive fitted 5" satin chrome on brass cabin hooks; B&Q sell them.

Sponsored Links
JohnD's suggestion is a 'bar catch or hook' or a 'counter flap catch'.

I don't know what it's called, but you can/could get a thingy a bit like a single armed door closer. When you open the door, at a certain angle (depending on where you fix the bracket, the arm catches and locks itself, and the door will neither open or close any more. There is a hanging string which when pulled, lifts the catch and allows you to close the door. (Might be what JohnD is talking about, but I think he's describing something that goes at the bottom of the door - this thing goes at the top).
If this is of interest I'll dig the bits out and photograph them. It used to be on our garage doors.
It's not however the sort of thing you'd probably want to see fixed to the inside of your posh patio door though - a bit "agricultural" if you know what I mean.

I think I know what you mean. The problem is that lots of classic control devices won't fit because they're designed for wooden doors whereas these have a complex profile with all kinds of rubber seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back