Interior door lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm re-decorating our living room and need to replace the door lining. I've bought a new softwood door lining kit from wickes which I checked for straightness when I bought it.

However, I checked it again last night and all sections of the casing are bowed like a bannana. How do you get round this? The best you can do is check before you buy. Or do you have to fit it straight away so that when you fix it with frame fixings this stops it bowing?

Also, I've bought some frame fixings to fix it with. Do apply 3 or 4 per side where the door stop will go so that it'll cover the fixing heads - i.e in a vertical line up the door frame. And whats the best way to pack it out when using frame fixings - or do you just tighten/loosen each fixing until it's where you need it?

Thanks in advance, Phil

Sponsored Links
Cut some folding wedges from off-cuts of wood, then slide them into place between the wall and the lining, that way they'll fit snuggly, and be the right size to get it all plumb. then fix directly through them into the wall. once it's all plumb and square you can cut off the waste flush with the wall.

There are also plastic frame packer available which will do the same job.

cheers guys.

How do you stop the wood bowing after you've bought it?

Sponsored Links
Put your running shoes on and run from the big shed that you have purchased the timber from.

Have all you tools at hand and fix it in double quick time.

Basically you can’t stop timber from warping.

Have a look at the "From Tree to Timber"
A guide on my other site showing the different methods of converting logs into usable timber outlining the properties and yield of each. The guide includes flaws, defects and movement problems in natural timber.

ok cheers for that mate.

So where would a pro/chippie buy a door lining from? You're right - I went to Wickes.

So where would a pro/chippie buy a door lining from? You're right - I went to Wickes.

A true pro would make it his or her self. And if it was to be painted I would construct it from a cheap hardwood like Idigbo

You could try the builder’s merchants. The minimum requirements are that you want it constructed from is upper gulf red wood 5ths or better.

Always fix a lining at at least four points down the lining five if necessary and at two points accross at each point down ,always pack the lining out so you can screw it in tight to take out any wind, cup or bow, never tigthen and then slacken off to hold it in the correct place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back