hi guys i have an issue with some hinges, pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I drylined walls with metal stud walls. When the guys were fitting the metal studs they encorporated a square frame for the consumer unit and built around it leaving me with a nice square opening to put a small access door.

Now the problem is this, the door i have made is made from mdf. I have fixed on square edge moulding to the door, btw the mdf panel is 18mm. Now I have some hinges which I thought would screw through the square edge moulding and into the side of the mdf however the issue i have is that the side of the hinge that has to screw into the side of the opening. The holes of this side of the hinge line up just over the plasterboard so i wont be able to fix it in. Now if i get deeper hinges so that the holes clear the plasterboard and come over the metal stud, i have a problem on the others side as the holes on the hinge no longer cover the side of the 18mm mdf.

So basically the problem is, if i get narrow hinges, they screw into the door but not the opening and ifi get deeper hinges they screw into the opening but not the door. What would you guys recommend.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hey wms, thanks for the reply

ive actually decided against the hinges as firstly i couldnt decide on what to do with them as i couldnt find a solution and secondly i thought of a much nicer solution.

Basically what i have done is, add 4 door magnets if you know what i mean, something along the lines of this but not exactly like this
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/2507502_lg.jpg

ive add two on top and two at bottom of the opening and made sure the door is more tighter than normal so it fits snug and basically is held in by the magnets. Ive add two handles on the door so basically when i need access to the consumer unit i just pull the door off, ill show you the finished article once the door is painted.

if you want to make sure its not going to drop out and scare the shyte out of you add two spring clips to it as the magnetic catches can release in the event of a shock or vibration ( and I don't mean an electric shock ) :LOL: for the smart ones out there.

Sponsored Links
just line the hole with timber and make your door again

but if you line the hole with timber surely it will be too big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back